Congratulations to our winners. Thank you to all our finalists and applicants, everyone who voted and the judging panel.
A global panel of experts from conservation, finance, science and industry will assess submissions against the following criteria:
- Out of the box – the concept is incorporating novel ideas or methodologies and is bringing something new to the challenge. This can be something entirely new, an old idea from a different context, or scaling an idea that is working. The concept uses multidisciplinary approaches and advances bold ideas to improve coral resilience.
- Technical feasibility – the concept is technically viable or has data to demonstrate that the concept is technically sound. Additionally, does the concept have the technical possibility to be deployed at scale? Solution has demonstrated proof of concept.
- Value for money – the amount of funding being requested to develop the concept is appropriate in relation to the intended impact and the feasibility of the concept.
- Global applicability – the team shows that they understand the specific context present on the Great Barrier Reef, and demonstrates a sensitivity to the broader reef ecosystem, while also having applicability to coral reefs worldwide.
- Team – the team has the appropriate technical background and has the management capability to take this concept to the implementation phase.
- July 17th: Challenge Opens
During this phase, applicants will submit their submission, sharing their solution to the Challenge Statement.
- September 3rd: Applications Close: 11:59 pm Australian Eastern Standards Time.
- September 5th – October 4th: Submission Review
During this phase, all eligible applications will be reviewed by a panel of diverse experts. Finalists will be notified on September 19th, and invited to an online pitch and interview. Interviews will occur between September 24th and October 4th.
- October 25th: Announcement
During this week, the Technical Challenge Winner will be announced publicly.
One winning concept will earn a prize of up to AUD $300,000 as chosen by the expert panel and challenge partners. In the end, the real winner will be the Great Barrier Reef, which will see the benefit of humanity’s collective brains trust.
- Up to AUD $300.000 of funding
- Tailored support
- Access to partners, advisors and investors