Out of the Blue Box is a global search for new ideas to strengthen the recovery of our iconic Great Barrier Reef. We are calling for solutions to the challenges facing the Great Barrier Reef, and reefs all over the world, to fast-track projects that will have an immediate and lasting impact.
Can your idea help recover the reef?
The Great Barrier Reef is the world’s largest living organism, and one of our planet’s most significant natural assets. The Reef offers some of the richest biodiversity on earth and stretches across more than 2,600km of Australia’s Eastern Coast, encompassing an area approximately the size of Italy. This maze of 3,000 individual reef systems is as biologically diverse as it is beautiful and has an estimated social and economic value of AUD $56 billion.
State of the Reef
The accumulation of harmful impacts to the Reef is diminishing its ability to recover from shocks such as severe weather events and the overuse of marine resources. As these shocks increase in frequency and magnitude, the need for a strong recovery is increasingly vital to its longer-term resilience and survival. According to the Great Barrier Reef Outlook Report 2014, four key factors are contributing towards the degradation of the Reef:
- effects of climate change,
- land-based run-off,
- changes to way land is used in the Reef catchment,
- effects of direct use.
While elements of these impacts are complex and require systems level interventions, there is an opportunity to enlist new ideas to ease pressures on the Reef and increase its capacity for recovery.
Through a global search for ideas, we are looking for new approaches to reef recovery.
- PeopleAre you working on an idea that harnesses people as a source of positive impact on the Reef?
- TechnologyDo you have a solution that harnesses the ubiquity and scalability of technology to support reef recovery?
- FinanceHave you created a solution that utilises innovative financing tools to support the recovery of the Reef?
- Unique ApproachOutside of these areas of "People, Technology or Finance," what other solutions could increase the coral recovery?
Who can take part?
This challenge is for anyone, in any field, whose work can contribute to finding recovery solutions for our Great Barrier Reef. This is for those in:
- Creative thinkers
- Anyone - anywhere around the world
One winning concept will earn a prize of up to AUD $300,000 as chosen by the expert panel and challenge partners. In the end, the real winner will be the Great Barrier Reef, which will see the benefit of humanity’s collective brains trust.
- Up to AUD $300,000 of funding
- Tailored support
- Access to partners, advisors and investors